Quality of Life

Some people like to say, "Eat well, do good, get exercise, and die anyway," as some sort of excuse for partying, being unhealthy and/or being inconsiderate. This logic has no place in a happy, fulfilling and successful life. Regardless of when you die, you want the life you live today, and tomorrow to be the best life you can possibly have. There is no excuse for not doing the best for yourself and the best you can for those you love. Even if I were going to die in six months, I still would continue my diet exactly as I do (if not do even better) because I want the highest quality for my life. The quantity is quite irrelevant.

~Raederle Phoenix Jacot

"Are you really sure that a floor can't also be a ceiling?" ~ M. C. Escher

Monday, February 08, 2010

Comparisons: Buffalo vs. Walnut Creek

There are many things to notice about the difference between Walnut Creek, California and Buffalo, New York. For one thing, there are hills here, and lots of houses on the tops of hills. Because this is the wet season, (February) everything here is green, and the trees still have their leaves, and the hills are covered in plants at their fullest. Green spills out of pots, and yards, and twines it's way up houses and across hills. It's completely different to the wash of whites and grays that Buffalo is during February.

Also, I notice there are many more Asians here, and I like that. The features of Asian people are pleasing and different, even on the elderly and not-so-striking Asians, I still like seeing them. Something about how far away they "come from" and how exotic they seem just because I've seen so few of them throughout my life.

Another point of interest is how crowded parking is. Everywhere you go the parking spaces are small and compact, and there are few places available to park. It's clear that the area is much more densely populated. As of yet, I have not personally seen any traffic jams, but I've also never seen the practically empty streets which are quite usual during most hours of the day in Buffalo.

The sun and the clouds here are both amazing. I love the beautiful cloud formations. I could certainly love the winter climate here; although I'm guessing that the Summer climate would be more than my body would be able to handle. I'd likely be found sprawled in front of an air conditioner with wet clothing (to keep extra cool.)

This is the longest I've been away from home in a very long time, and certainly the longest amount of time I've ever spent in California, or nearly so far away from home. It brings to mind how odd it would be for me to call any place but Buffalo my home.

No comments: